Chandra Law Logo

What happens when you file a civil-rights complaint or lawsuit?

The laws governing civil rights allow victims to do two things:

  • File a complaint with the relevant government entity.
  • File a lawsuit to seek compensation.

If you file a civil-rights complaint, the procedures could be different depending on the type of complaint. In the case of most complaints, there will be an investigation. During the investigation, it might be found that there were multiple victims of multiple instances of discrimination or retaliation. At that point, there might be hearings during which the facts will be presented and consequences will be issued. Consequences can include damages awards, court rulings stopping illegal activity, and the creation of new policies to protect others going forward.

In addition to filing a complaint, a civil-rights victim might also file a lawsuit with the help of their civil-rights lawyer. If your case goes to court, you might be awarded various types of damages. Some of that compensation might include money to compensate for damages, and others might be what is called “equitable relief.” An example of damages might be if a person is denied a promotion because of sex, then the employer will be ordered to pay the difference in salary and benefits that the person would have received had they been promoted. An example of equitable relief is that a court can order the entity that discriminated against the victim to correct any policies and give back your rights. In rare cases, employee might be given their positions back at work or promoted to more suitable positions in employment-discrimination cases.

If you have faced retaliation or discrimination or even suspect that your civil rights might have been violated, it is best that you speak with an experienced civil-rights lawyer. An attorney at The Chandra Law Firm LLC will can help you seek justice. If you live in or near Cleveland, OH, tell us your issue through

Making the right choice in legal representation can make the difference in whether you achieve a result that protects your legal rights and best interests.

Tell Us About Your Case