Chandra Law Logo

What can I recover for a First Amendment-retaliation case?

If your employer is a state entity (i.e., not a local town, county, or city government) it is not possible to sue them for money damages. This is because they have 11th Amendment immunity. Alternatively, you could receive injunctive relief ordering the state to halt the retaliation. Or you may be able to sue the individual officials responsible for the retaliation.

If your case involves other government entities (such as municipalities, counties, towns, their officials, etc.), it is possible for you to be entitled to a wide range of damages. This includes:

  • Front pay;
  • Back pay;
  • Other financial damages;
  • Emotional-distress damages;
  • Punitive damages (against individual officials).

Making the right choice in legal representation can make the difference in whether you achieve a result that protects your legal rights and best interests.

Tell Us About Your Case