Chandra Law Logo

If someone commits a crime against me, may I sue them for damages?

Generally, yes. Ohio has a statute, R.C. 2307.60, under which crime victims may seek compensation from criminals who have injured them in their “person or property” unless such recovery is specifically excepted by law. A plaintiff is also entitled to seek attorneys’ fees and costs, as well as punitive or exemplary damages, if the law elsewhere permits them. But be mindful that some courts have found (wrongly in our view) that a one-year statute of limitations applies to these claims. To determine whether you have a case, you'll need to consult a lawyer. Chandra Law attorneys have handled the leading Ohio cases using the R.C. 2307.60 statute.

Related Practice Areas
Crime Victims: Civil Action for Damages for Criminal Acts Under Ohio Revised Code § 2307.60

Making the right choice in legal representation can make the difference in whether you achieve a result that protects your legal rights and best interests.

Tell Us About Your Case