Chandra Law Logo

For what kinds of crimes could I sue someone for in civil court?

R.C. 2307.60 does not limit the crimes for which you can sue someone civilly, but does require that the act by which you’ve been victimized indeed be a criminal one (i.e., that it is actually prohibited by some criminal statute or ordinance). It also requires that you have sustained actual damages, and disallows recoveries that are “specifically excepted by law.” Still, the range of criminal conduct for which civil redress is available is incredibly broad, and may include various civil-rights and employment-related violations (e.g., sexual assault). You should consult an attorney to determine if your claim meets the statutory requirements.

Related Practice Areas
Crime Victims: Civil Action for Damages for Criminal Acts Under Ohio Revised Code § 2307.60

Making the right choice in legal representation can make the difference in whether you achieve a result that protects your legal rights and best interests.

Tell Us About Your Case