Chandra Law Logo

Do I have to look for a job once I've lost mine to First Amendment-retaliation?

Once you have lost your job to First Amendment retaliation, it is your responsibility to pursue new employment. This is a “good faith” effort to decrease the wages you have lost because your former employer caused you to lose your job. As a public employee that got discharged due to First Amendment retaliation, you are obligated to:

  • Take practical steps to find suitable employment; and,
  • accept employment offers of “like nature” if you are presented with the opportunity.

If you reasonably sought alternate employment, you will not be refused damages for lost wages because your actions were unsuccessful—even if your efforts could have been accomplished more effectively.

Making the right choice in legal representation can make the difference in whether you achieve a result that protects your legal rights and best interests.

Tell Us About Your Case