Freedom of speech, protection from police use of excessive force, the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizure, the right to be free from government discrimination, the right to due process of law, the right to not have your property taken without just compensation—these are but a few of the rights enshrined in our precious Constitution.
The lawyers at The Chandra Law Firm LLC have fought effectively for their clients' constitutional rights:
- Securing a jury verdict of over $2,000,000 against the Village of Woodmere, Ohio and its then-Mayor, Yolanda Broadie, for First Amendment retaliation against former police chief LaMont Lockhart.
- Obtaining a federal appeals court ruling that declared unconstitutional on First Amendment grounds a campaign-finance statute that restricted the right of physicians to contribute to candidates for Ohio attorney general or county prosecutor.
- Securing six- and five-figure settlements for employees who faced government employment discrimination and retaliation.
- Obtaining (with co-counsel) a federal-court judgment that declared unconstitutional an Ohio law that would permit poll workers to discriminate against naturalized U.S. citizens by demanding their certificates of naturalization.
- Obtaining (with co-counsel) multiple orders against Ohio's Secretary of State that minimized the chances that Ohio's voter-ID and provisional-ballot requirements would suppress the vote.
- Stopping a scheme by the Hamilton County Board of Elections to not count provisional ballots that determined the outcome of the election of the first African-American woman to serve as a county judge.
- Obtaining federal-court rulings that stopped schemes by state legislators and the Secretary of State to avoid counting legitimate provisional ballots.
- Obtaining settlements for clients who were subjected to excessive force.
Lawyers Experienced in Constitutional Litigation from Both a Government and Private-Sector Perspective
Founding and managing partner Subodh Chandra's constitutional-litigation experience arises from his experience as a federal prosecutor, where he endeavored to protect the constitutional rights even of those he was prosecuting. Chandra also served as Director of Law for the City of Cleveland, Ohio, a $2 billion corporation. There, he explored numerous constitutional issues and successfully defended the mayor against First Amendment retaliation allegations by media. Chandra also worked in Los Angeles as outside counsel to the cities of Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, defending high-profile allegations of police misconduct and excessive force.
Other lawyers in the firm bring together significant constitutional law experience. Don Screen and Sandhya Gupta are both former federal law clerks, who assisted federal judges in deciding important constitutional questions.
Contact The Chandra Law Firm LLC for Help
You can reach our firm, which serves clients throughout Ohio and the nation, by calling 216-578-1700 or by filling out our online contact form.