The facts and law governing each individual case are different, so past results are no guarantee of a particular result in a case. However, the items listed below are some examples of positive results we have achieved on behalf of many of our clients.
Civil rights, First Amendment, Constitutional, and employment
- Obtained injunction followed by favorable settlement against major newspaper and order that promised retiree healthcare benefits be restored.
- Multimillion-dollar trial victory in compensatory and punitive damages for plaintiff in high-profile employment-retaliation case against a municipality and its mayor.
- Multiple six and seven-figure settlements and verdicts in employment-discrimination, retaliation, and civil-rights cases.
- Ruling for Youngstown Mayor-client in federal district and appeals courts in First Amendment case brought by media organization.
- Victory for Cleveland Mayor at federal court in First Amendment case brought by media conglomerate.
- With co-counsel, obtained federal-court judgment declaring unconstitutional Ohio law permitting poll workers to discriminate against naturalized citizens.
- With co-counsel, obtained orders in voting-rights case against Ohio Secretary of State minimizing prospect that voter-ID and provisional-ballot requirements would suppress the vote.
Criminal-defense litigation and defending government investigations
- Saved medical doctor from suspension by medical board.
- Obtained directed defense verdict in civil mortgage-fraud jury trial.
- Obtained dismissal of charges for two clients in massive criminal mortgage-fraud case in which all other co-defendants were convicted.
- Negotiated resolution with no individual conviction in criminal health-care fraud case and dismissal of State Medical Board investigation.
- Obtained dismissal of telecommunications-fraud charges.
- Negotiated pennies-on-the-dollar resolution of telemarketing-fraud case with Federal Trade Commission.
- Obtained reversal of criminal conviction for immigrant facing deportation, thus enabling him to remain in the U.S. and become a citizen.
- Ethics investigation for Fortune 250 employer into misconduct in quality of manufacturing.
- Investigation of employee corruption in largest metropolitan housing developer led to several federal convictions and complete financial recovery.
- Investigations of corruption within 10th largest water utility in the nation led to convictions.
- Internal investigations of Cleveland Police Division led to Chief's resignation and prosecutions of officers.
- Business, governmental, and public-policy litigation
- Negotiated favorable settlement for real-estate developer suing government for abuse of process.
- Obtained judgment for former business contractor of charter schools for unpaid funds.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar settlements in wrongful-death cases, including record-setting $6 million settlement in death of 12-year-old Tamir Rice at the hands of Cleveland police officers.