Subodh (rhymes with "abode") Chandra (rhymes with "tundra") is the founding and managing partner of The Chandra Law Firm, LLC.
Chandra's practice focuses on high-profile civil and appellate litigation, including civil-rights, employment, and business litigation; and on internal investigations and white-collar-criminal law, in both federal and state courts. The litigation that Chandra handles often has a crisis-communications, public-policy dimension.
Before founding the firm, Chandra served as Director of Law of the City of Cleveland, a billion-dollar corporation. Chandra led the work of an 82-lawyer department with both criminal and civil divisions. He also sometimes served as the City's acting mayor.
As Cleveland's general counsel, Chandra handled legal work in-house and slashed by nearly 90% spending on outside counsel, saving millions; moved vigorously through in-house investigations to clean up internal corruption; restored the department's reputation; and attracted top performers who helped make it Ohio's most diverse law firm.
Previously, as federal prosecutor, Chandra successfully prosecuted health-care fraud and corruption-winning recognition from FBI director Robert Mueller. Before that, Chandra served as a litigator in large firms in both Cleveland and Los Angeles, and served as special presidential counsel at the American Bar Association.
Chandra is a graduate of the Yale Law School, where he was executive editor of the Yale Law & Policy Review. He also graduated with honors and distinction from Stanford University, which awarded him the John Gardner Fellowship to work with Ohio Governor Dick Celeste.
Chandra has served as Distinguished Practitioner in Residence at Case Western Reserve University School of Law, teaching appellate practice and legal ethics. He has served as an ethics expert in litigation.
Long active in assisting people who aspire to public service, Chandra was also a 2006 candidate for Ohio Attorney General, winning most newspaper endorsements. The Cincinnati Enquirer called Chandra "the best candidate Ohio Democrats have produced in years." Chandra presently serves on a Special Ohio Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights.
Chandra is admitted to practice law in Ohio, California, and New Mexico (inactive), and in federal courts around the country.
Areas of Practice
- Civil and Appellate Litigation
- Civil Rights
- Business Litigation
- White-Collar Criminal Law
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Mexico
- Yale Law School, New Haven, Connecticut
- Law Review: Yale Law & Policy Review, Executive Editor
- Stanford University
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: John Gardner Fellowship to work with Ohio Governor Dick Celeste
- Distinguished practitioner and adjunct professor taught appellate practice and legal ethics, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
Honors and Awards
- The Cincinnati Enquirer called Chandra “the best candidate Ohio Democrats have produced in years”
- Recognition by FBI director Robert Mueller for federal prosecutions
- Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless Advocate of the Year
- Best Progressive Crusader (Cleveland Scene Magazine)
- Crain’s Cleveland Business “40-under-40” award
- Outstanding lawyer award from New Mexico Bar Association
- Life Member, Ohio Eighth District Court of Appeals Judicial Conference
Professional Associations and Memberships
- U.S. Commission on Civil Rights Ohio Special Advisory Committee, Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association’s Judicial Selection Committee, Former chair
- Cleveland Bar Association’s Diversity Action Committee, Former co-chair
- Cleveland Bar Association, Former Board of Trustees member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member
- International Network of Boutique Law Firms, Ohio Chapter President
Past Employment Positions
- City of Cleveland, Director of Law and Prosecuting Attorney, 2002 - 2005
- U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Ohio. U.S. Department of Justice, Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Thompson Hine LLP, Litigator
- Christiansen, Miller, Fink, Jacobs, Glaser, Weil & Shapiro, Litigator
- American Bar Association, Special Presidential Counsel
- English (Primary)